At Love’s Bridge we aim to teach kids the importance of being responsible and playing an active role in society, showing them that they can make a difference to the world around them. One of the projects we run is getting children and teens involved in volunteer projects, which also keeps them aware of important issues in the city. The kids always surprise and delight us with their enthusiasm and energy for voluntary work!
- Green Kids – In the summer months we go to various parks in the city and clean them up, talking to passers-by, asking them not to leave their litter behind. We then enjoy a picnic and fun and games in the newly-clean park!
- Clean Windows – Children and teenagers visit elderly people in the spring to help them clean the windows in their appartments. Many of these elderly people have no relatives, and were victims of Stalin’s repressions.
- Child Health Awareness - Many Russian shop owners disregard laws on alcohol and tobacco sales, openly selling spirits and cigarettes to children of any age. Children and teenagers from Love’s Bridge visit local shops to make sure they are aware of the laws, and encourage local residents to sign petitions and do something about the problem.
- Peace and Tolerance – Our kids take part in a city-wide campaign, aimed at promoting peace and tolerance. They remoove racist and fascist grafiti from the walls of buildings, help to create a giant ‘Patchwork for Peace’ and take part in peaceful demonstrations.
- Love’s Bridge Theater - Children at Love’s Bridge make puppets and our staff help them to come up with short plays. We then visit local orphanages, hospitals and other institutions and the kids put on a show for other children who are in need.